Tuesday, March 25, 2014


                          EASTER HOLIDAY SAFETY 

Easter is a time of celebration for many, but that can change if your pet is exposed to one of the toxins that are available during the season.   

Chocolate is one of the most common hazards pets can be exposed to during the Easter season.   The potential effects depend on the amount and type of chocolate your pet ingests.  It is the methylxanthines in chocolate that are toxic.  Methylxanthines are also contained in coffee and tea.  

From least to most toxic is: white chocolate, milk chocolate, semi-sweet dark chocolate, baking chocolate, instant cocoa, dry cocoa powder and cocoa beans.  Cocoa mulch which is used in gardening is also toxic and pet owners should avoid its use in areas accessible to their pet.

Should your pet ingest chocolate, call your veterinarian immediately.  Signs of chocolate toxicosis include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, restlessness, increased urination, and heart abnormalities.  Large exposures can result in seizures, coma and even death. 

Should your pet ingest chocolate, call your veterinarian immediately for advice on what to do.  

Easter lilies are another common source of toxicosis, especially to cats.  All plants of the lily family have the potential to cause kidney failure.  Make sure if you have lily plants in your home or garden, that your pets do not have access to them.

Time is important with all ingestions of a toxic substances.  Do not wait to see if your pet develops symptoms!  Call as soon as you think a toxic substance may have been ingested.  


No comments:

Post a Comment